Are residents required to provide their ZIP code when they register for Nixle by text message?
A resident is not required to provide their ZIP code if an agency has a keyword enabled for registration. With a keyword enabled, residents who text that keyword to 888777 will only be subscribed to that specific agency instead of all agencies who are in that resident's ZIP code.
To create a group that requires only a keyword to register, log in to your agency and follow these steps:
- Choose Groups from the menu bar.
- Choose Public Groups from the sub-menu bar.
- Choose Create New Group from the right hand side.
- Enter the Group Name.
- Enter the group Description.
- Assign a Parent Group for this new group, or leave empty to make the new group a parent group.
- Check the checkbox next to Use Keyword for Opt-Ins and enter the keyword residents will provide to join the group.
- Check the checkbox next to Add Auto-Response (Follow up SMS sent after the user opts in) and enter the message the resident will receive that confirms their registration.
- This follow-up message has a limit of 140 characters.
- Leave the checkbox next to Ask New Subscribers for their zip code unchecked.
- Choose Create Group.
Subscribed residents can manage the agencies they receive notifications from by configuring their account at local.nixle.com, or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Keyword opt-ins are not manageable from a resident's account. A resident can stop receiving notifications by texting STOP to 888777.